Pujehun Market Ecosan Toilet, Pujehun Town
Pujehun is the main regional town of Pujehun District. It has a large daily market, which attracts approximately 1000 people a day from the town and communities from the surrounding district. The market had no sanitation, so open ground adjacent to the market was being used, creating a health hazard.
We have constructed a large community eco-sanitation complex, with separate secure areas for both men and women. This will provide effective sanitation and washing facilities for all users to the market, and compost to improve crop yields in nearby market gardens.
The design is adapted from those successfully used in India, and has a porcelain washing area as an integral part of each unit. Local labour was also used in the construction, offering a livelihood opportunity for the individuals from the community.
This project at a glance
- Location: Pujehun District, Sierra Leone (regional capital) see on map
- Population: 9,000
- Main occupation of town: Market traders, supporting the regional farming communities. Regional administration and educational centre
- Project start date: October 2009
- Length of project: 1 year (completion, October 2010)
- Provided: Community ecosan complex
- Funded by: Baringa Partners, UK
- Support from: Pujehun Development Organisation (PDO)