McGrath Primary School, Gbongay Village, Pejeh Chiefdom, Pujehun
School construction isn’t usually the main focus of our work, but funding was secured to rebuild the primary school in Gbongay. The original school was destroyed in the civil war, meaning that classes were being held either in the open or in a temporary building that was too small and leaked in the rainy season.
The new school has ensured a quality environment and education facilities for the 200 plus pupils, and this will greatly improve the educational prospects for the children of the village and help to secure a more sustainable future for the whole community.
This project at a glance
- Location: Pujehun District, Sierra Leone see on map
- Population: 750
- Main occupation of villagers: Subsistence farming
- Project start date: April 2008
- Length of project: 6 months
- Provided: Village primary school
- Funded by: Kevin McGrath, UK
- Support from: Pujehun Development Organisation (PDO)